Map Battle 35 - Eden

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 35 - Eden

Postby nub on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:11 pm

jister wrote:NUB, strange enough with every change you make, something gets better at the expense of other values...

now you improved your overall scene, the light beams and Asian theme fit well, but now the composition is unbalanced.

btw if you use the shrine models from your request post, you should clearly mention they're not yours... just so competition stays fair.

Of course. I wouldn't leave you guys out at all. I'd never take the credit for your work, that would be completely shitty of me.

But anyway, what would you recommend for the composition? Less contrast and some more blending? Or less coloration overall? I could make the lamps on the gate have more yellow to them. In fact I might do that regardless.

Acheron wrote:Don't know if you'll take it in a bad way as a lot of people despise the game but your work, the last ones you posted with colour correction and without before these ones especially, reminds me of something that you'd see in WoW. Probably because of the use of pink/purple/violet/whatever colours mixed with teal/blue/green, they did a fair few similar colour schemes for areas involving the elves.

Not at all. Warcraft has a unique art style, whether the game is lacking graphically or not. I always loved being the Nightelves in Warcraft 3 because the structures looked really cool, and I loved the whisps (the workers). In fact, the little glowing spirits rotating around the shrine tree in my submission are derived from the whisps.

The art direction in Warcraft was always inspiring to me. You could easily say this submission is heavily based on it. It's mostly my imagination working here, but my imagination is influenced by many things; Warcraft being one.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 pm

I have a video entry.. May i post that?

EDIT:

Gordon Freeman Is god.

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Uh, lol? Videos aren't allowed, but that was weird.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 pm

See? I told you Gordon Freeman is going to become a morphine junie by the time HL ends. He is already one!

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:44 pm

nub wrote:Uh, lol? Videos aren't allowed, but that was weird.

Agh damn, I will post screens of it. :|
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am

Here's an update:

I added a waterfall model by Warby (from his map de_wanda). I don't know if I'll keep it, but I think it looks good and brings more variation and reality to the scene. It was tough fitting it in there, but I managed to.

Jish's awesome shrine torch model can be seen at each side of the gate opening. Vcool's awesome model can be seen in front of the tree in the bowl I made with displacements. I owe them a lot for their kindness in making these models quickly upod request. Thanks guys.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jister on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 am

nub i'd dim down the light in the gate shrines a bit, also what are these two blue light spot on the rocks in the second screen? don't seem to have a light source...?
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Meotwister on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:49 am

likin it man! comin along nicely.

One thing, you say it's above ground in like a forest of trees? then what's the time of day? If it's nighttime you could up the brightness of the environment light and not have those harsh point lights hanging around.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby The Doctor on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:59 am

These are my finals:

I call it "End of Eden". Highly original title.

No more, I can't take it any more. :smt023
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby punky on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:05 pm

That looks beautiful!
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 pm

The two light spots are actually sprites that rotate around the big tree with the white leaves. They're meant to be like little spirit thingies floating around. They have a little sprite trail behind them if you notice. From that angle it looks like they are just lights by the walls. I might be removing them later on today since they're misleading in screen shots.

Doctor, your map looks awesome. The one thing that bothered me was the light leaking through where the arcs meet the end wall. This always happens with curved corners like this, but it is possible to prevent. I think all you need to do is place a nodraw brush or blocklight brush on the other side (where the player can't see) so that a shadow gets cased on the actual roof of the arc and prevents light from bleeding through. It's a very minor visual bug though, so I don't think you should worry about it since it's practically unavoidable.
Last edited by nub on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Nice work nub. :) Glad my model came in handy.

Doctor - I like it a lot. And the name too. The map has that kind of steampunky "end of humanity" feel.

vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:00 pm

These are my final images

nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meotwister on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 am

Very awesome nub! Warby's waterfall really added a lot to the scene. Turned out really nice.

Well, we're getting pretty close to the end of this... Zip didnt you have something you wanted to wait to show, hm?

:P
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby vcool on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:06 am

I'll spend the entire day tomorrow getting this done.

vcool
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section