Map Battle 25 - Something's Not Right..

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battle 25 - Something's Not Right..

Postby Jest@ on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Well here we are, Map Battle 25! What an occasion! How far we've come! Huzzah! Etcetera! :P

This Battle's theme comes courtesy of forumgoer-elite 1447, and was overwhelmingly endorsed in the suggestions thread, so here it is: Something's Not Right. Create a scene for us which gives an eerie, unnerving feeling - a perfectly normal setting, but...something's amiss...

This one's all about atmosphere. Subtly scary, disturbing and unsettling. Other than that, it's up to you! From houses to forests, city streets to basement corridors, there's an opportunity to turn the mundane into the deeply creepy (which, incidentally, is what Stephen King says his primary goal is when writing). Check out this thread for some ideas provided by the 'lopers community.

The deadline for entries is going to be Monday 14th July, giving you three weeks & two days. The exact deadline is midnight GMT Zulu: click here for the closing time in your time zone

As usual, the basic rules are: up to 3 screenshots from an official Valve Source-engine game. That's about it. No photoshopping, custom content is allowed, it doesn't have to be playable. Post them in this thread before the deadline, and you'll end up in the vote!

The full details can be found, as always, in the rules thread, but please note, there's an update on the way to the rules about previous work: the basic jist of it is that previously-shown work can be used in Map Battles, so long as it was clearly just a WIP of some kind and it's re-worked or improved to be theme-appropriate. For now, anyone planning on submitting an entry that includes pre-existing work should PM me to get it cleared.

As always, if there's something I've forgotten, or you have a question, let me know!
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Map Battle 25 - Something's Not Right..

Postby Elv02 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:52 pm

This one's gonna be hard to come up with an idea for... Man, I'm gonna go ask some of my friends for help on this... Still, it should turn out some cool entries I bet! :-D
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jimmy422 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:01 pm

(Nevermind, i'll do the next one.)
Last edited by Jimmy422 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy422
Regular
Regular

Postby Liske on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Wow the setting can be so many things this one is very exciting.
Pen and paper is out
Good luck everyone
Here comes last place
Liske
Regular
Regular

Postby Kremator on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:24 pm

I'll try to enter if I have time, sounds pretty fun. :wink:
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby srredfire on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:37 pm

CREMATOR666 wrote:I'll try to enter if I have time, sounds pretty fun. :wink:

I swear to God to Tay, if you enter this one I'm gonna drive down there and beat your ass. I actually want to enter this one! RAGGHGGWOIglhog
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:43 pm

I'm in.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Prototstar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:54 pm

I'll see what I can come up with.
BlackSector Mod
Ennui wrote:I'm presently cooking a bunch of tri-color rotini (the BEST kind of pasta) which in about 10 minutes I will slather in 1/4 stick of butter and cover with parmesan cheese and devour greedily and happily.
Prototstar
Regular
Regular

Postby Nacrosse on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:24 pm

I've had a general idea floating around ever since I saw 1447's suggestion, I guess I'll get started on it soon.
Nacrosse

Postby Kremator on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:25 pm

srredfire wrote:I swear to God to Tay, if you enter this one I'm gonna drive down there and beat your ass. I actually want to enter this one! RAGGHGGWOIglhog

I said I'll "try", spence :P
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Sentura on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14 pm

since it's about atmosphere, should we not be allowed to make a 15 second video as well? sound is a part of atmosphere, and could greatly enhance submissions..
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Postby KILLA-COW on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Sentura wrote:since it's about atmosphere, should we not be allowed to make a 15 second video as well? sound is a part of atmosphere, and could greatly enhance submissions..

No. Pictures are alot easier, the challenge is to convey your atmosphere through the media of picture. Theres been lengthy debate on whether or not to allow video entries and I think it's been decided against.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:31 pm

:woot:

He used my idea!!! W00t, w00ot w0000oottt!!!! omsjfndsjklaDSsknbsjcnFD"##43 :D :-D :) :-) :cool: ;) :wink:

JEST@ IS THE FUCKING MAN!!!

I FEEL SO IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW

But yeah, I'm obviously in on this. School is out and the mod I'm a member of was cancelled this morning, so I'm going to have plenty of time:D
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BillyDa59 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 pm

I think I may enter this battle. I'm not much of a mapper to be honest though. All my maps lack that artistic touch which is all there really is in a map battle entry but I guess I give it a shot.
BillyDa59
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby punky on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm in bitchez!!
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Design Section